Become a Teacher with School Direct
About the DHMAT (Diocese of Hereford Multi Academy Trust)
Training with the Diocese of Hereford Multi Academy Trust (DHMAT), in partnership with The University of Worcester, allows you to become part of a family of schools across Shropshire and Herefordshire.
The School Direct course is run from Ludlow Primary and St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary and is supported by professionals who have led these courses for a number of years. Ludlow Primary School (SY8 1HG) and St Thomas Cantilupe (HR1 2DY) are both perfectly placed whether you should live in Powys, Shropshire, Herefordshire or Worcestershire. The DHMAT draws on specialist support and training from staff across their schools. These schools include:
* Bishop’s Castle Primary School
* Bitterley CE Primary School
* Burford CE Primary School
* Burley Gate CE Primary School
* Condover CE Primary School
* Eastnor CE Primary School
* Ludlow Primary School
* Morville CE Primary School
* St Edward’s CE Primary School (Dorrington)
* St George’s CE Primary School (Clun)
* St Michael’s CE Primary School (Bodenham)
* St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary School (Hereford)
* Tenbury CE Primary School
For further information please see DHMAT
About the School Direct courses
Our School Direct routes (3-7 and 5-11) are both practical, hand-on routes into teaching. By the end of the course trainees are assessed to achieve QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) and PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate in Education). By choosing the School Direct route, you are immersed in school life from the start with the support of teachers and university staff.
The DHMAT have a number of subject specialists who will deliver high quality and bespoke training sessions to support trainees in meeting the Teacher Standards. Trainees undertake two contrasting school placements in different schools and two different key stages (minimum 120 days) along with the entitlement to experiences in Early Years, Year 6, a special school or behavioural unit and KS3.
Training takes place mainly at Ludlow Primary School or in St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary as well as the University of Worcester and occasionally at other locations suited to the professional study sessions. QTS and PGCE are awarded through University of Worcester (our provider).
To qualify to apply, applicants need a degree 2.2 or above and GCSE grade 4 or equivalent in English, Maths and Science.
For further information on the course go to The University of Worcester (https://www.worcester.ac.uk/courses/pgce-school-direct-primary)
Our school placements are carefully selected to match the trainee’s needs, whilst bearing in mind travelling distance. School placements will take place in contrasting schools to enable trainees to get the broadest range of experience possible. We work with a range of schools across Shropshire, Worcestershire and Herefordshire and our trainees have the opportunity to visit a wide and diverse range of settings.
Trainees spend 120 minimum days in school and there are around 30 professional study days during the year.
* Placement 1 – September until December (either in EYFS, KS1 or KS2)
* Placement 2 – January until March (alternative key stage to the one completed in first placement)
* Placement 3 – April until July (this will be in the same key stage as first placement)
* An undergraduate degree at class 2:2 or above, or equivalent.
* Grade 4 (C) or above in English, maths and science, or equivalent qualification.
As part of the interview process you will:
* Have an interview with a panel made up of representatives from the school and the University of Worcester (this may be via Zoom/Teams).
During this interview, you will be given the opportunity to discuss your experiences to date, including opportunities you have had to work with school-aged children and any transferable skills you can offer.
We will also invite you to an interview day, at either Ludlow Primary or St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary, which will consist of:
* A small group activity which you will be informed of before you arrive
* Informal conversations with staff and children
This will also give you the opportunity to meet us, have a look around our schools, ask questions and learn more about our course.
The course fees for UK students in 2022 to 2023 are £9,250.
Training with disabilities and other needs
Diocese of Hereford Multi Academy Trust and the schools within the alliance are inclusive schools that endeavour to meet the needs of trainees and pupils with disabilities and other needs. Please contact Ludlow Primary School or St Thomas Cantilupe CE Primary to discuss how your individual needs can be best met within your training.
Telephone: 01584 873602 (Ludlow) or 01432 268400 (St Thomas)